Monday, June 25, 2012

Coconut Milk ???

picture of coconut milkMy daughter and I are lactose intolerant and usually drink soy milk.  I have been hearing so many negative things about soy lately.  My daughter convinced me to try coconut milk.  YUM.  But now I am hearing so much conflicting information.

I found an article - "3 reasons why coconut milk may not be your friend" by Chris Kresser, L. Ac

It basically says to drink coconut milk that does not contain the following:


  • Bisphenol-A (BPA)
  • Guar Gum
  • Fructose
He lists all of the reasons why one should avoid these things and provides alternatives, brands without these ingrediants and a home made recipe.  

So, I keep searching to see what else I can find and I find a post titled "Coconut and Almond Milk in Cartons not a Healthy Buy" by SARAH, The Healthy Home Economist.  This post lists a couple things in the coconut milk that are not good for you;

  • Vitamin A Palmitate
  • Vitamin D2
Sarah goes on to tell us why these are bad for us and offers alternatives and a home made recipe just like the previous site.  

I go ahead and grab my container of Coconut Milk and look to see what is in mine....

Guar Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate and Vitamin D2.... it seems I have a bad choice here.  I guess that I will keep researching and see what else I can find.  

Anyone got any info or ideas?


4 comments:

  1. Have you tried almond milk? I haven't but I have also heard some of the talk about having too much soy in our diets...........hard to know what do do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We drank coconut milk right out of the coconuts from the trees on a small island in the area of San Blas, Panama last summer. Can't get much fresher than that! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such a hard time with conflicting information. I like almond milk, and that's my usual choice, but is soy really bad for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another vote for almond milk, great substitute and unsweetened variety very low in calories!

    ReplyDelete