Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Do you value yourself?

Another tidbit from 40 Leadership Nuggets of Wisdom to Live by:

A leader thinks about the welfare of others, but that doesn't mean he fails to think about himself.  ~ Stephen Nellas

A leader loves himself that is why he can afford to love others.  He has a healthy self-love that emanates from his very person.  His self-esteem makes him act confidently in the midst of other people and of other leaders.  He is someone who takes care of himself and does everything that would let him improve as a person and as a leader.  (Nellas, S. I. (2012). 40 Leadership Nuggets of Wisdom to Live By)


If you are to be a leader, you must be able to lead yourself.  If you are not confident in your own abilities then you cannot successfully lead another.  You see it all the time, people are put into a leadership role when they truly are not leaders.  Whatever reason it is that they are put there, perhaps in hopes that they will develop some leadership qualities.

Do you think that you can just plant someone and expect them to grow or should they receive training in order to grow into the position and then be placed there.  I think there are people that are able to learn on the fly, but not everyone is able to do this.  If a person with little leadership ability or experience is put in this position and feels insecure about it, I think they have a great risk of failure.  This isn't good for anyone.

I have found that it is really easy to take care of others.  I can lead if need be.  If I can find something that I believe in, I will lead it into battle if I have to.  Are you a leader?  Do you value yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment