Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What is YOUR body trying to tell you?

I have been reading the book "You Are What You Eat" by Dr Gillian McKeith.    Has anyone read it?  It is a fabulous reference book that I come back to time and time again.  I am really struggling right now because I have been trying to work out at least 4-5 times a week AND I am paying attention to what I am putting in my mount.  My problem is that I am not losing any weight.  That is so so so discouraging. :(

I want to share a section in this book about body signs....

"Sometimes you don't need to go to a nutritionist to find out what's wrong with your diet.  There are some very easy signs to look for on your own body that can tell you - it's all a matter of being body aware." ~ Dr Gillian McKeith

The following is taken directly from the book...

YOUR TONGUE

A healthy tongue should be smooth, supple and slightly moist.  It should be pale red in color with a very thin, white film.  The most common tongue indicators I look out for are cracks, ravines, coatings (e.g., yellow/furry/thick/white), lines, swellings, patches of red and cuts. 


Ok, sounds a little weird to me.  Obviously, you wanna go look at your tongue now.  What do you see?


Crack down the middle - midline crack not reaching the tip means you have a weak stomach and your digestion is not what it should be.You are most likely nutrient-depleted.  I bet you are often bloated after eating and maybe even a victim of energy slumps in the middle of the day. 

  1. Learn how to food combine; avoiding eating certain food groups at the same time
  2. Take a digestive enzyme with meals
  3. Eat soups and stews - foods that are easy to digest
  4. Don't guzzle fizzy drinks and dont drink liquids at mealtimes
Teethmarks around the sides - this is a sign of nutritional deficiency.  It is likely that your digestion is impaired and you have a spleen deficiency.  If your spleen is weak, you probably suffer from gas and bloating.

Eat foods that nourish the spleen:
  • Aduki, mung or kidney beans
  • Yellow squash
  • Alfalfa
  • Lychees
  • Barley
  • Millet
  • Beetroot
  • Oats
  • Carrots, Celery, Parsnips
  • Parsley, Fennel
  • Chicken, fish
  • Pumpkin, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams
Sore Tongue - this is a sure sign of a nutrient deficiency - often iron, vitamin b6 or niacin.

  1. Take liquid mineral supplements and start to drink nettle teas
  2. Get your iron levels checked
  3. See a nutritionist for advice
  4.  
     
    Check back tomorrow for more posts on what
     your body is trying to tell you!
     
     
 


1 comment:

  1. Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks

    ReplyDelete