Friday, July 27, 2012

Day Thirteen - Exceptional, Superb & Powerful Life!

13.  Clear the clutter from your house, your car, your desk and let new and flowing energy into your life!

Clearing clutter feels sooooooooo good! I have to admit, I used to be a collector of things.  If I found a good sale on something, I would buy it because someday I was going to use it.   I ended up with a garage FULL of stuff.  It was great when that moment that I needed something arrived and I had it, if only I could find it!   I did lots of arts and craft stuff for the school and it was nice to always have so much on hand.  


We had to move and that is when it hit me.  Too much stuff.  I was venturing towards being a hoarder!  My grandpa was definitely a hoarder, so it would be no surprise to anyone.  My Mom is pretty close to a hoarder and it drives my Dad crazy.  


Taking the steps to determine a value of your stuff and then letting it go is a good feeling... once you get over the initial "oh my gosh, I can't get rid of my stuff" feeling.  Here are some steps to help get you started!


Here's what Rodika Tchi has to say about clutter:


In feng shui, clutter is viewed from a slightly different viewpoint. Not only clutter complicates your life, disturbs the view of your home and steals precious time, it also steals your vital energy. Now, this is serious. Do you really want to let clutter drain your precious life energy?

What is clutter?

Feng shui definition: Clutter is low, stagnant, blocked energy that drains energy from you and lowers the quality of your life.

Down-to-earth definition: Anything that you do not use, do not like, or do not have a place for IS clutter. Either use it, like it, find a place for it, or let it go. It is that easy.

Even if your place looks seemingly OK on the surface and is not overrun by clutter, can you honestly say the same about your closets, your garage or your laundry room? How about the places that are mostly hidden, such as your kitchen cupboards, for example?



~ steps below taken from ~ 7 Ways to Clear the Clutter and Find your Life 

1. Start small

Just like creating new habits the trick is to start small. Don’t try to tackle too much all at once; it usually ends in frustration, dissatisfaction and ultimate abandon. Choose a small area or one drawer to get started and schedule time to complete the task. It usually works better to schedule time rather than have a physical plan because often the de-cluttering takes longer than expected. If you spend hours trying to de-clutter a space to not achieve it can turn the expedition into a negative experience.

2. Make sure everything has a place

One of the reasons we allow clutter to accumulate is because we don’t know where to put it. We move things around from surface to surface not quite knowing what to do with them. Create a place for everything and if necessary go out and buy more storage containers. But be careful, the more storage containers you have the more you will fill.

3. One in two out


You have probably heard of this tactic before. Every time you buy something new, throw out or give away two things, this will ensure the quantity of items you own decreases over time rather than the gradual creep of belongings. It also prevents you from buying unnecessary things as you know you will have to throw out some possessions when you get home.

4. Become a charity King or Queen

Know that every time you donate clothes, books or toys to a charity shop you are helping people. Rather than let things clutter up your drawers they could be doing good in the world. Separating yourself from your belongings becomes easier if you are doing it for a purpose.

5. Remember objects don’t define the person

For years I kept a snowboard in the corner of my sitting room as it represented the person I wanted to be — bold and carefree. I live in a country that doesn’t have mountains with snow. I wasn’t very good at the sport and at best I could go snowboarding once a year. Sounds ridiculous when you look at it objectively, but for me it represented a part of my life I didn’t want to let go of. Selling my snowboarding gear was a liberating experience. I felt the moment I let it go out the door I matured. I am who I am and don’t need an object to express my personality.


6. Create rituals to prevent clutter creep

If you manage to de-clutter and get things under control, how are you going to prevent the clutter from coming back into your life?
Create rituals. Do the washing up straight after dinner, get the children to tidy their toys before bed, tidy up time comes before lunch every day. By creating rituals for certain events they become so much a part of your everyday life they don’t feel like a hassle. These little rituals just like brushing your teeth before bed become semi-automated and help to keep your life under control.

7. Music and celebration 


Turn on your favorite music and get started. Music can uplift and inspire, it can turn the most mundane task into something enjoyable. When you have finished acknowledge your achievements and reward yourself, something you should do with all areas of your life. Great things deserve recognition and celebration. Treat yourself and admire your hard work.





No comments:

Post a Comment