Sunday, April 15, 2012

Healthy Mexican Lasagna (in a crock pot!!!)

This is another recipe that I found and modified to be a little healthier AND to make in the crock pot.  I'm all about healthy and love the crock pot.  I googled it and there are a million recipes for it, this is my version that I created from stuff that I already had on hand in my cupboards and fridge.  That's what I do, take a recipe and make it mine somehow...

Anyway... here it is... my version...

1 pound ground turkey
2 cups colby jack cheese (you can use whatever cheese you want)
2 cups salsa
1 cup green sauce (I add this for a little spice, you don't have to add it at all if you don't want)
1 cup low fat sour cream (I actually don't put sour cream in mine, but most people do)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
chopped garlic ( I use the stuff out of the shaker cuz I'm lazy)
chopped onion (see above)



Cook the ground turkey, adding chopped garlic and chopped onion to your taste, add chili powder and cumin. Drain.  Spray the bottom of the crock pot with some non-stick spray.  Place two tortillas in the bottom of the crock pot to cover bottom completely.  Place all of the ground turkey on top of the tortillas.  Sprinkle half a cup of cheese on top.  Place two more tortillas on top.  Mix salsa and green sauce with the sour cream and spread all but about a cup of it on the tortillas.  Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top.  Place two more tortillas on top.  Pour remaining salsa mixture on top, sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Cook on high for 2 hours.

Enjoy!

I added rice the last time I made it (about 1 1/2 cups brown rice), mix the rice in with the salsa layer.  Some people add black beans, I would mix that with the salsa layer too.  I've heard of people adding corn to it, as well.  

This is pretty healthy if made with the right ingredients and re-heats well too!



12 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this recipe as I am a self-diagnosed Mexican food addict! I am always trying to find ways of making my favorite foods healthier so thank you!

    Kristen Vatt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an easy one! I just took the recipe and made it a little healthier by using turkey and substituting low or non-fat ingrediants for the other items. So easy and so good! Thanks for the comments! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  2. This recipe sounds amazing and i do love my crock pot! I never gave a thought to modify a current recipe! thanks for the idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! I modify for the crock pot all the time!! Have you ever had meatloaf from a crock pot? Let me know and I will post my recipe... so good and so easy!

      Delete
  3. Ok, this recipe couldn't be any easier! Definitely adding it to the menu list for this week!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It is really good and it reheats in the microwave the next day really well!

      Delete
  4. Oh this sounds delicious and SO easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how well the men in the house liked it! It would be a good one to make in the morning and just keep in the fridge until after work and then put the crock pot on for 2 hours when you get home!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this sounds REALLY tasty! And easy to whip up too! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love my crock pot and am always tweaking recipes to work in the crock pot!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, I'm going to have to try this! I"m always looking for new healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am DEFINITELY going to try this out! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete