Friday, January 18, 2013

Nineteen ~ I admit

My mother and I had a very hurtful relationship while I was growing up.  She didn't say very positive things to me and in all honesty, I hated her.  We screamed at each other and that is how I learned to communicate.  Not so good in the real world, but my reality.  She said things to me that I still hear in the back of my mind, things that affect who I am and what I do.  I have forgiven my mom for those things, they are in the past.  That doesn't stop them from surfacing now and then.  When this happens, it is best to feel the feelings and then let them go.

If we hide the feelings and never deal with them, they will surface over and over again and it will be an awful cycle of hurt.  It is important to forgive the one that has hurt us and move forward. 

It's quiet time....

After you have forgiven a person for hurting you, feel the pain, don't tell yourself that it shouldn't hurt anymore, just relax and let yourself feel it.  This pain is natural and may take years to let go of, or maybe it never goes away, just gets a little less painful when it surfaces each time.

This is the last active stage of letting go of emotional pain of the past.  It is cleansing and revitalizing to get to a stage where we know in our heart that we have forgiven all those who have hurt us in the past.  This last exercise helps us from blocking and halting the final healing stage.



Forgiving someone doesn't make the pain go away, but it is a step towards it.  Moving forward from the hurt is the key.

Warren, S. 2010, 7 Ancient Keys To Happiness, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

No comments:

Post a Comment