Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Twenty Two ~ Understanding Gobbly-gook

Have you ever noticed that people often don't say what they mean?  We may say " Go away, get out of my face, I never want to see you again."  What we really mean is we are having a bad day and we just want to be left alone.    "I hate you!"  often means "you hurt my feelings!" 

If we could look at everyone as if they are speaking a different language and interpret what they really mean, we could have better interaction with them.  Our responses could be based on what they mean, rather than what they said. 

"You're always on the phone, and if you're not on the phone, you're out doing something."
Translation:  I feel unloved.

"Do you mean to say that you feel like I don't make time in my day for you"

You're dead right; you don't care two hoots about me."
Translation:  I feel unloved and uncared for)

"It's not true that I don't care about you.  What would you like me to do to show that I care for you?"

"I want you to stay home every moment of the day and never talk on the phone!"
Translation:  I really love you.

Obviously this example was a little far fetched, but if we listen and find the root of the statements, we can react in a positive way, rather than a negative way.  It is important to try translating and not to get sidetracked by the emotional language that they are using.

Practice with a friend.  Have someone tell you something in emotional language and see if you can review it in your mind and translate it to what they are truly saying to you.  This exercise will help upgrade your relationships and help you feel less drained by other people's emotional outbursts.


Translating helps us keep our emotions, sensitivities and self-esteem out of the picture, and instead concentrate on solving the problem, understanding the other person and acting in the most effective way possible for the situation.  It's time to become a master translator!   Our lives will be more stress free and those that we interact with will love us more, because they will feel that we really care about them and can truly understand them. 




 Warren, S. 2010, 7 Ancient Keys To Happiness, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

No comments:

Post a Comment